Monday, October 12, 2009

Soon to the 'Shelf: Drive by Daniel Pink


I had one of those long nights of inspiration this weekend. Those nights like Jerry Maguire had when he wrote his applause-garnering mission statement. (Management promptly fired him). A stress-induced breakdown and a guilty conscience caused Jerry's. Daniel Pink and his upcoming motivational book caused mine. Not so much of a 12-step type book, in Drive: The Surprising Truth about What Motivates Us (due out January 2010), Pink disects motivation and how to get it.

This book applies to everyone's lives. Indeed, all parts of our lives. As I read it, I see application in my business, my marriage, my leisure activities. It applies to the way we parent, the way we educate, the way we motivate. Pink's broad, relatable research will make you want to drop the sticks-and-carrots motivation of 2.0 and upgrade your life to motivation 3.0.


For people who liked: Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, Freakonomics by Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt, or Pink's first book Whole New Mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment